District 9 consist of Cairnhill, Orchard, Oxley
Cairnhill started to develop into a residential area after the failure of Charles Carnie’s nutmeg orchard. Carnie’s house was acquired in 1884 and redeveloped into a bungalow for the manager of Chartered Bank. Terrace houses also began to appear along Cairnhill Road in the early 1900s.
One of Cairnhill’s most prominent houses is Tan Chin Tuan Mansion, which was built around 1926 by rubber tycoon and philanthropist Tan Kah Kee. The mansion was later sold to Tan Chin Tuan, a banker who became Chairman of the Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation (OCBC) in 1966. The mansion’s distinguishing exterior features include a tower with a bell-shaped turret and a large porch supported by several round columns. It was conserved in 2003.
After more than a century as a two-way thoroughfare, Orchard Road became a one-way street in 1974. The ever-lively street starts at the junction with Orange Grove Road which is the location of the Orchard Hotel. It then stretches southeast across the Scotts Road–Paterson Hill junction, Orchard MRT station, Bideford Road, Somerset MRT station, Central Expressway, Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, and ends at the junction with Handy Road (just before Prinsep Street), where it becomes Bras Basah Road. It has an extensive underground infrastructure, including underground pedestrian walkways between the malls running underneath the street and other streets in the vicinity. The numbers begin at Handy Road and end at Orange Grove Road.
Named after Dr Thomas Oxley, senior surgeon of the Straits Settlements in 1844, Oxley Road is a straight two-lane road about 500m long. It links the busy Orchard Road with the equally busy River Valley Road.
The area was a nutmeg plantation belonging to its namesake, who developed it into the Killiney estate after acquiring the land in 1837.